Monday, May 4, 2009

Here's the thing...

I was bored at work one day and started browsing the real estate sites...I came upon an old inn which was no longer in use and for sale...at a steal, I might add. It's got 8 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 kitchens, an office, 2 living rooms, a great room and Rec room....plus 1.45 acres. It's got loads of potential! Of course, that got me thinking and daydreaming of what I could do with something like that. A bed and breakfast....a retreat house for teens or adults for that matter...a rooming house....and the list could go on and on.

The only thing is, it has loads of work to do to it, it's way out in the country and my husband knows nothing about carpentry or what it would entail to renovate something like that. But we are both 42 and not getting any younger. He figures that he would have to keep working if we took this endeavor on...for a while anyway...but it's 50 minutes away. He could stay in town during stormy weather in winter and come home on weekends. Those are minor issues. My main concern would be...is this just a huge risk to take on.

It would mean a complete upheaval of my life...quit my job to concentrate on creating this new life. Jumping in with both feet to make this work. It is definitely a lot of work but I don't mind the challenge! I would relish it actually because in the end...it would be mine and would allow me to work from home. Of course, I wouldn't just do that....I would have a work shop so that I could have a gift shop on the side, maybe a little coffee/tea house....and sell whatever I would create or design...I could have a beautiful flower garden and totally transform this place into something breathetaking...that's my vision.

My question is....is it too big a risk to take and to jump in with both feet without weighing all the consequences? Right now, I'm trying to find as much information on starting and running a bed and breakfast because I've never done it before....I have loads of books on other things but that's not one of them.

We also would have to sell our house and right now, there are too many things to fix on it to do that right away anyway. Something tells me the house will keep...it's been for sale for a very long time apparently. I'd like to actually see the house up close instead of looking at pictures on the internet...maybe that would deter me a little....or make me want it more! Who knows?

I would appreciate any input that any experienced person out there might have had! ;-) It's a huge decision and not one that I want to take lightly...so I really need to think long and hard on this one! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment